Monday, October 26, 2009

2009 Toyota Camry test drive

High standards

About.com Rating four out of Five
Article Feedback:

By Aaron Gold, About.com

2009 Toyota Camry front view

2009 Toyota Camry front view

Photo © Aaron Gold

What do the About.com Rating stars mean?

The Toyota Camry is the standard by which most cars in this country are judged. But is the legendary Camry really all it's cracked up to be? I spent a week with a base-model 2009 Toyota Camry to find out for myself. $19,865 base, $21,114 as tested, EPA fuel economy estimates 19-21 MPG city, 28-31 MPG highway.

Larger photos: Front - rear - all photos

First Glance: What have I done to deserve this?

When I told a fellow journalist that I was reviewing a Toyota Camry, he said, "Cripes, what did you do to deserve that?" The truth is, I like the Toyota Camry. There's a reason this car has become the benchmark for family transportation, and it's not like Toyota has some secret formula like Coca-Cola or Colonel Sanders. The Camry is the result of Toyota just being Toyota.

What really sets the Camry apart from other front-wheel-drive mid-size sedans is the way it seems to ooze quality from every crevice. I'm sure you've read that a zillion times before, but it really is true. Everything about this car -- the way the key turns in the ignition, the way the doors close, the way the dials turn, the way the switches switch -- everything gives you the impression that the Camry was lavished with the sort of engineering time, attention and expertise that NASA devotes to its space-going coffeemakers. Car fans deride the Camry as boring and soulless, and I won't argue with them. It's dull to look at and even more dull to drive. But the Camry's purpose in life goes back to the very reason the automobile was invented -- to provide the masses with a reliable mode of personal transportation that doesn't involve oats, vet bills and a shovel. Dull it may be, but it really delivers.

In the Driver's Seat: More than I expected

2009 Toyota Camry dashboard
High quality materials, simple controls, and bright, crisp gauges. I couldn't ask for anything more -- not at this price, anyway
Photo © Aaron Gold

Larger interior photo

The Camry I tested was a base model, the only options being floor mats ($199) and an automatic transmission ($1,050). The standard equipment list is stocked with features I expected (power windows, mirrors and locks, CD player, air conditioning) and several I didn't (automatic headlights, cruise control, steering wheel mounted stereo controls). These extras came as a surprise, as did the first-class-quality fabrics, plastics and carpets that made up the Camry's cabin. I always figured the base-model Camry exists so dealers can run ads that shout "NEW 2009 CAMRY, JUST $19,865!*", then up-sell the punters to something nicer and more profitable -- but after spending a week with the base model, I can't see the sense in spending the extra $1,455 for a Camry LE (which adds a power driver's seat, remote keyless entry, and some chrome interior bits), let alone the sporty SE or the cushy XLE. The only thing I'd add is electronic stability control, a life-saving safety technology that's optional ($650) on all Camrys.

The Camry presents a simple, user-friendly face to the driver, with a height-adjustable driver's seat, tilt-and-telescope steering column, crisp backlit gauges (another upscale touch), simple three-dial air conditioning controls, and even a Mercedes-style zig-zaggy shifter. The trunk is smaller than some of its rivals, and the back seat doesn't feel as spacious as the Honda Accord's (though it actually offers more legroom). Still, nothing here warrants serious complaint; the Camry is roomy enough and comfortable enough.

*One at this price.

On the Road: It doesn't have to be like this

If I had to describe the Camry's driving experience in one word, I'd say "adequate." If I was allowed two words, I'd say "perfectly adequate," because let's face it, "adequate" is a bit of a back-handed complement. The Camry's four-cylinder engine puts down 158 horsepower, which is more than enough power to get four well-fed occupants up to freeway speed before the onramp peters out. Fuel economy is quite good for a car this size -- I averaged 26.5 MPG, enough for nearly 500 miles on one fill-up of the Camry's generous 18.5 gallon gas tank.

The Camry's ride is soft and comfortable, though not as quiet as I expected -- there was a surprising amount of wind noise (and in a Toyota, any wind noise is surprising). But the Camry's fun-to-drive factor is nearly zero -- the steering's idea of feedback is to zing back to center when you let go of the wheel, and it attacks curvy roads with all the enthusiasm of a DMV employee. When I talk to fellow car buffs about how dull the Camry is to drive, someone will usually say, "People who buy Camrys don't care about that." Hogwash! Virtually everyone with a license can appreciate a car that's fun to drive. The Honda Accord and Mazda6 are every bit as comfortable and practical as the Camry, yet they're a lot more entertaining to drive. I'm not saying that every car has to be a sports car. I'm just saying that sensible family transportation doesn't have to be this boring.

Journey's End: Still the benchmark -- but there are lots of good alternatives

2009 Toyota Camry rear view
2009 Toyota Camry rear view
Photo © Aaron Gold

Before I go on, I should tell you that Toyota has a revised 2010 Camry waiting in the wings, with updated styling (photo) and a slightly-larger and slightly-more-powerful four-cylinder engine. That's good news for bargain hunters, as it's bound to drive down the price of leftover '09s.

I should also tell you that not all Camrys are as modestly equipped as my tester -- options include leather seats, high-end JBL stereo, automatic climate control, and a 268 hp V6 engine. There's also a hybrid version of the Camry, which costs quite a bit more -- about 27 grand -- and should deliver roughly 50% better fuel economy than the four-cylinder Camry.

But let's get back to the Camry I drove -- the economical, value-laden epitome of sensible transportation. I like the Camry. I respect the Camry. I'm happy to recommend the Camry. But would I buy a Camry? Probably not. I prefer something more fun to drive, like the Mazda6 or even the Honda Accord (though I don't care for its button-laden controls). I also like the Chevrolet Malibu which, believe it or not, is smoother, quieter and has a nicer interior. And I can't ignore the Hyundai Sonata, which does everything the Camry does for less money.

Still, I know plenty of people who own Camrys and love them, primarily because the Camry doesn't do anything annoying and it almost never breaks. So yes, the Camry really is all it's cracked up to be, and it's still the standard by which I judge other cars -- even though that allows plenty of room for them to do better. -- Aaron Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment